Got Mold? Don’t Panic!
So you have discovered mold on your property and you are concerned. Don’t panic. Most mold is non-toxic. You are exposed to mold on a daily basis. Molds can be found almost anywhere; they can grow on virtually any organic substance, as long as moisture and oxygen are present. There are molds that can grow on wood, paper, carpet, foods, and insulation.
When excessive moisture accumulates in buildings or on building materials, mold growth can occur, particularly if the moisture problem goes unaddressed for some time. The most common health impact from mold infestations are allergy related. In rare situations, certain types of mold can present a higher toxicity risk.
It is impossible to eliminate mold and mold spores outdoors. But indoor mold can be effectively controlled. By deploying proven mold removal and prevention strategies, indoor mold can be managed. To fully assess your mold situation, it is best to hire a certified mold professional that can conduct mold tests to determine the exact type of mold you are dealing with.
With Guardian Mold Prevent, once we get test results, we can recommend the right mold solution for your unique problem.
Why call professionals?
Trying to remove mold, especially black mold or other toxic molds using household bleach or other DIY products that promise to remove mold could be a big mistake. These products are limited in scope and are often very toxic. Many claim to be able to clean mold from walls and other surfaces, and while this that may be true, the results are often temporarily because these products don’t help to identify the cause of mold. Hidden mold, left unaddressed, will often re-infest the same adjacent areas.
A DIY product can’t determine the type of mold you are dealing with or identify what may be fueling the mold growth. When visual mold is present, often hidden mold also exists. A professional knows what to look for and can conduct mold test and structure a comprehensive remediation plan that addresses the entire mold problem, not just what can be seen by the naked eye. They also know how to remove mold without contaminating other areas of the property.
Here in Illinois & Indiana, mold issues are prevalent. With our long damp seasons and high humidity, moisture build up in basements, attics, bathrooms, under sinks, within walls, and other stagnant areas create ideal environments for mold growth. Often mold is conceal for months even years before a visual infestation occurs. Only addressing what can be seen is not enough.
More importantly, if you are selling your home, bleaching off mold from visual surfaces may seem like and easy and affordable solution, but realize that the home inspector of any prospective buyer will more than likely discover the mold issues and report them to the buyers; potentially spoiling or a least delaying the sale.
If you are concerned about mold, not just the mold you see – but also the mold you may not see, then you should consider hiring a certified mold professional.